Growing up, I did not think girls who looked like me or came from my background could get into careers like journalism. On the surface, this career looks very glamourous. Growing up, I didn’t watch a lot of TV but I did watch the news every night. I grew up watching anchors like Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas– and I wanted to be like them really bad. It wasn’t until my second year in college that I decided to just take the leap and change my major to something I really loved, and that something was journalism.
I’m currently working in market 55 as the social media manager for a local tv news station. My role is to tell the stories of the community through social media. It is a DREAM JOB!
If you are interested in pursuing a career in journalism know that it’s going to require a lot of sacrifices but the work is really rewarding. You get to be the voice of the community and have a say in how stories are being told. But I also want you to go into the industry with the right tools and resources to succeed.
Here are some conferences you should attend
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- National Association of Black Journalists
- We All Grow Latinas: This isn’t a journalism-only conference but it can help you meet other Latinas in the industry. If you are passionate about being a storyteller on social media this is the conference for you. I have been to it since the second year it started.
Facebook Groups you should join
- MMJane: For women who do it all– from shooting, editing, reporting, and more!
- Latinas in Journalism: A group for Latina women in journalism to network and share your successes and challenges
- Digital Opportunities Worldwide: If you are looking for your next career in digital media or searching for talent look no further. Digital Career Opportunities Worldwide includes general managers, high profile recruiters, news directors, producers, and MMJ’s, at television stations around the world compiled in one successful group.
Paid journalism internships
- ABC30 Newsroom Internship Program
- SimplyHired (The tab opens to paid internship opportunities across the United States)
MORE RESOURCES…websites you should regularly check out!
- Palabra: a growing multimedia platform that delivers informative journalism, both within a designated platform and syndicated across other platforms by NAHJ freelance members.
- 2005 NAHJ Network Brownout Report: examines the ways in which Latinos and Latino-related issues are portrayed on the evening news programs of the nation’s major English-language television networks